when i make something, i try to pursue few goals at once, and making something in 3d just for fun is easy to start, but in most of the cases fun projects stay unfinished. so there are few things about why i started modeling sideswipe.
- i’m passionate about the character (visually).
i’m a huge fan of original transformers, especially 1986 movie.
bayformers movie was a disappointment to me back in 2007, but these movies is a work of a large number of talented people and it is mostly not their fault, that some designs are aproved and some are not because the target audience are teens.
although, there are 2 designs that i fall in love with.
it is mountain dew vending machine decepticon from the 2007 movie:
- i wanted to get more pratice in hard surface modeling.
- learn how to stop worrying about ngons.
- i wanted to get more practice with non destructive workflow in blender.
- all the tiny non destructed details with modifiers could be sold as bash kit on stock.
- the design itself is the best one that you can download from web paid or free of charge (in 2019), so a ’transformers’ fan may buy it, or a person who wants to get practice in making transform animations like in bayformers movies may also buy it (bc all details are really close to the movie character).
- i plan to make a 3d printable version in an interesting pose, where all car exterior parts could be printed separately with different color.
and i guess the first thing that spakled in your head is to make an articulated figure of sideswipe, and well, actually its pretty achievable, but i realise how much time i need to invest in it, so this idea was denied.
this project is very special to me and i wanted to finish this model very much, bc i’ve started the robot when i just decided to switch to blender from cinema4d.
![some alt text](/img/misc_images/11-sideswipe/first thing.png)
this detail was a starting point and i’ve spent like the hole day on it despite the fact, that i already got much experience in modeling in cinema4d.
switching to another software is always a nightmare i believe.
few more wip screenshots: